Smith’s Construction-Themed Second Birthday Party

construction birthday chalkboard

Our little rump roast recently turned two and we celebrated by hosting a small party with Smith’s grandparents and aunts and uncles. Since he loves all things diggers, trucks, and dirt, I chose a construction theme for this year’s shindig.

construction birthday party

The decorations were straightforward. Construction balloons, construction garland, and some bulldozer temporary tattoos.

construction birthday party

In a moment of impulse while on a Target trip with my sister, she and I thought a bull piñata would also be a great, albeit completely unrelated, addition to the party. Unfortunately, we never got around to the candy-filled bull; but it was probably a good thing considering the birthday boy is just learning how to successfully shovel food into his mouth independently. Why not give him a stick and tell him to hit a floating object repeatedly? Bert just loved this part of party prep. This picture makes me laugh.

IMG_8924The menu was pretty simple and was mostly a reflection of some of the foods our little engineer of destruction loves most. It included:

• Grilled bratwurst and (uncured) hotdogs with various toppings
  • Baked three-cheese macaroni and cheese
  • Tippy’s tossed salad
  • Grandma’s fruit salad
  • Great Aunt Khaki’s birthday cake cookies (recipe coming soon)
  • Chocolate cake with fluffy chocolate buttercream icing
  • Ice cream

IMG_8978

IMG_8995

The grill master.

IMG_8990

I had so much fun making Smith’s cake this year. The lad loves chocolate. I couldn’t be prouder.

Construction Birthday Cake

construction birthday cake

After lunch, Smith opened gifts and I assumed my role as the family creeper by snapping candid pictures of everyone without their consent.

IMG_9010 IMG_9011

IMG_9001 IMG_9046 IMG_9030

IMG_8980

IMG_9022

After capturing lots of fun, I whipped out my tripod and forced all of us to take a few group shots. Childhood birthdays make me sentimental and nostalgic and documenting it with pictures of the ones I love the most is a way of keeping those emotions in check.

IMG_9100

Smith’s construction-themed second birthday was so much fun. Both for Smith and his family. These past two years have flown by and I am so thankful for the gift of motherhood that I have been given. I would be dishonest if I were to say parenting is all sunshine and lollipops, but it is without a doubt the most fulfilling adventure I have been on. We love you, Smith. Thank you for filling our lives with laughter, joy, and unbridled energy.

IMG_8964

It’s not a party until someone brings out the (unfilled) tea kettle.

14 Comments Add yours

1. Andi says:

I loved these pics! It looks like you pulled off a very successful 2nd bday party for your little lad! Also, I just love reading your writing! So well written and always makes me lol! 🙂

1. Lolly says:

Oh Andi- thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. 😘

2. connie says:

Wow what a cute party. You did such a fantastic job! Nobody knows how to do parties like you do.There’s nothing more enjoyable then spending time with family. Thank you!

3. snbeers says:

Had so much fun. You did such an amazing job on everything. I still think that bull pinata was a phenomenal idea. Maybe we can bust it out at the lake this summer. Later in the evening after we got home Jack said “Smee is my best friend.” 🙂 🙂

1. Lolly says:

Thanks, sis! Jack is smee’s best bud, too. I think we should definitely revisit the piñata come spring.

4. khaki says:

ok,first,loved each and ever picture,can’t believe how much Smith looks like cousin Jack in last picture! Love cousin Jack picture on the chair,so chilling…Looks like a perfect day..sigh…wish I was there..

1. Lolly says:

Thanks, khaki. How I wish you lived closer and could be part of the fun. Xoxo

5. meghan11 says:

Everyone looks so happy. Best of luck.

1. Lolly says:

Thanks, Meghan. And thanks for taking the time to comment.

6. Mike Nippert says:

A great time was had by all.

7. JoAnn Damko says:

So cute… Happy Birthday Samith!

Sent from my iPad

1. Lolly says:

Thank you, dodo. I always appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Xoxo

8. molly says:

heartbreakingly cute. capture it while you can. tempus fugit.

1. Lolly says:

Thank you, dearest Molly. My computer is loaded full of pictures of my little laddy. Thanks for commenting!

Thank you for visiting Lolly's Sweet & Savory Treats. I love to read your comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s