As glorious as it may be, meals can’t always revolve around meat and potatoes. In an effort to modify our eating habits, I’ve started experimenting with more “main dish” grains. So far my two favorites are farro and quinoa. Robert has been a little nervous about these vegetarian dishes, but he is starting to come around. As long as we have a safety net of meat in the fridge, he can usually keep his cool. He’s a good sport.
This particular dish highlights two of our favorite seasonings- chili powder and cumin- and it’s great served with cheese quesadillas or roasted vegetables on the side. I think it would also be a tasty filler for a burrito.
Other grains I have on my list of “to try” include: millet, bulgur, and barley. I lead an exhilarating life, I know. 🙂
Happy Monday, everyone!
Zesty Quinoa Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.
Source: Adapted from All Recipes