- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, prepared, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1.Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, stir brown sugar and butter until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cook 2-3 minutes longer on low-medium heat. Remove from heat.
3. Beat egg yolks in a separate small bowl.
4. In separate large bowl, mix flour with 1/2 of milk, until smooth. Carefully add beaten egg yolks and salt. Mix well. Blend remaining milk with this mixture.
5. Add flour mixture to saucepan with sugar/butter mixture and cook on medium-low heat until thickened (ranges from 30-45 minutes), stirring constantly.
6. Remove from heat and blend in vanilla extract. Stir constantly until well blended and slightly warm and then pour into a prepared (baked) 9″ pie crust. Allow to cool
7. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar. Spread over pie and refrigerate. Top with hazelnuts and drizzle with caramel sauce, if desired.
Source: My mom, adapted from Food.com