What is it with Americans and ranch dressing? People eat it with everything- salad, raw vegetables, baked potatoes, pizza, chips. I’m starting to think all of these foods are just vehicles for the creamy sauce that us Americans apparently can’t eat enough. I’m not usually a fan of ranch dressing. I prefer blue cheese and vinaigrettes, but I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought I should give the homemade version a try. The result? No contest. The homemade version is ten times better than what you buy in the store. It’s so much more flavorful with the fresh herbs and garlic. And it barely takes 10 minutes to throw together. I even lightened it up by swapping some of the mayo and sour cream for plain Greek yogurt.
If you love ranch dressing, you must give this version a try.
Happy Friday, everyone!
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Yield: 16 2-Tbsp dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small bunch of chives
- 1 small handful of parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (white pepper, preferred)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Place all of the ingredients into a blender with only 1/4 cup of buttermilk.
2. Blend for 10 seconds. Gradually add in more buttermilk until you achieve the desired consistency.
3. Store in an airtight container for 1 week.
Source: Slightly adapted from Pennies on a Platter