Monday is here again. By Sunday night, I tend to start to get that dreaded feeling of facing the week ahead. No more sleeping in or going about as I please. It’s back to the daily grind and Friday seems so far away. Mondays don’t get a lot of love, but it’s time to change that. It’s time to start looking Monday square in the face with a big smile. There’s no way of avoiding it, so why not make the most of it? And why not do it with one of these banana cream cheese muffins?
These muffins are an adaptation of my favorite banana bread recipe with a delightful dollop of cream cheese filling in the center of this flavorful cake. It’s a tasty breakfast treat and will give you just enough moxy to say, “bring it on, Monday.”
Bring it on, Monday! 😉
Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
Yield: 1 dozen large muffins
For the cream cheese filling:
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the muffins:
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 large, very ripe bananas
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
1. To make the filling, whip the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until combined.
2. Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place in the freezer for about 1 hour to allow to harden.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with spray oil. Set aside.
4. To make the banana bread, place the bananas in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and slit a few slices in it to act as a vent. Microwave for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the microwave and place the banana mixture in a sieve over a bowl and gently stir. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes to ensure the excess liquid drains from the bananas.
6. Transfer the banana liquid to a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until it reduces to about 1/4 cup. This takes about 5 minutes.
7. Combine the bananas and the banana liquid in a bowl and mix until smooth. Add in the vanilla, eggs, and butter. Stir.
8. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the banana mixture and mix until just combined.
9. Remove the cream cheese mixture from the freezing. Retrieve the muffin tin and fill each cup about halfway full with the banana batter. Cut a 1 inch slice from the cream cheese log and place on top. Add another scoop of the banana batter.
10. Place in the oven and bake for 22 minutes, or until the muffin springs back when you touch it. Cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the tin and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!