In a continual effort to use the vegetables from our garden, I have been perusing cookbooks for recipes that help me maximize our bounty. When I came across this recipe, I knew I wanted to try it right away. I was planning on making it for a weekend brunch, but I ended up making it for dinner last week after I didn’t get home until later in the evening. The mild flavor from brie pairs wonderfully with the sweet corn and hot jalapenos. Robert and I were both pleasantly surprised with how much we liked this dish. I think it would be delicious with just about any vegetable you please- bell peppers, tomatoes, banana peppers, the list goes on and on.
Side note- the basil and jalapenos are from our garden, but the corn is not (we only live on 0.17 acres, so that crop would be a bit tricky to grow!).
Fresh Corn, Brie, and Jalapeno Frittata
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from 1 large ear of fresh corn)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind trimmed and finely diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Basil leaves, for garnish
1. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add in the corn and jalapeno and cook until the corn is tender (about 5 minutes). Place the vegetable mixture in another bowl and allow to cool slightly.
2. Preheat broiler to high. Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in vegetables, cheese, salt, and pepper.
3. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture to the pan.
4. Allow the egg to set slightly. Lift up the edges with a spatula and tip pan to allow uncooked eggs to run under until edge forms. about 1 minute. Cover the skillet and allow to cook until almost set, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove the cover and place the skillet in the oven and broil until the eggs are set and the top is golden brown. This should only take about 1 minute- watch carefully so it won’t burn! Garnish with basil, if desired.
Source: The Bon Appetit Cookbook