Today is my friend, Jamie’s, 25th birthday! I’ve known Jamie since grade school and she is and always will be one of the most special people in my life. She is one of those rare friends that, even if you haven’t seen each other in months, you can instantly pick up right where you last left off. Jamie has such a fun-loving and outgoing personality and people are naturally drawn to her. She is very accepting and always interested in others and I admire her greatly for not only being a great friend, but f0r being a genuinely kind person. I love you dearly, Jamie.
In honor of her 25th, I made Jamie peanut butter swirl brownies. The recipe is from Martha Stewart and it is a mouthwatering combination of rich chocolate brownie batter and a sweet and salty peanut butter filling. I sampled a brownie before sending them in the mail and they were dense, rich, and full of that PB/chocolate flavor that so many of us love. A cold glass of milk is requirement for these puppies 🙂 !
Makes 9 large or 16 small squares
For the Batter
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pa
- 2 ounces good-quality unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Butter lining (not overhang).
- Make batter: Put butter and chocolates in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk granulated sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs, and whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture; stir until well incorporated.
- Make filling: Stir together butter, confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour one-third of batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Drop dollops of peanut butter filling (about 1 tablespoon each) on top of batter, spacing about 1 inch apart.
8. Gently swirl peanut butter filling into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers.
9. Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Recipe from: Martha Stewart Living
Also, just a side note- Jamie and her family own a very successful craft store in Berlin, Ohio (aka “the heart of Amish Country”) called Sol’s in Berlin. If you are interested in handmade crafts , I recommend checking it out!